California Department of Insurance
Thank you for choosing Accurate Biometrics for your fingerprinting needs. As the California Department of Insurance contracted fingerprint vendor, we are pleased to provide you with a number of fingerprint locations. If you are scheduled to take the insurance exam at one of the test examination facilities, we will be capturing your fingerprints following the completion of your exam.
California Resident Department of Insurance Fingerprinting Locations
Listed below you will find complete fingerprinting instructions for California Residents and Non-Residents for meeting California Department of Insurance fingerprinting requirements.
California Resident Licensing Fingerprint Requirements
Fingerprint impressions are required for all unlicensed applicants.
Applicants may obtain their fingerprint impressions prior to taking the examination.
Obtaining the fingerprint impressions beforehand will minimize the risk that the license issuance will be delayed while awaiting the results from both the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
How to Submit Your Fingerprints
- If you would like to have your fingerprint impressions taken at the time of your license examination, or before your examination day, you may schedule your fingerprint impressions using CDI's contracted fingerprint vendor, Accurate Biometrics at (866) 361-9944 ext. 602 for an appointment.
- When you go to have your fingerprint impressions made, please bring with you a completed Live Scan Request, form LIC 442-39A.
- At CDI's examination sites, CDI's contracted fingerprint vendor, Accurate Biometrics, will have an authorized technician available to complete the fingerprint impression requirement. The total processing fee for the fingerprint impressions taken at the exam site will be $59.00 which includes the FBI processing fee of $17, DOJ processing fee of $32, and the CDI's contractor's rolling fee of $10.00. Please make check payable to Accurate Biometrics. The applicant may also pay by money order, cashier's check, personal check or VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover Card. Cash will not be accepted.
- Please note: Nonpayment of the fingerprint fee or failure to submit the fingerprint impressions will delay the processing of your application. The fingerprint requirement must be fulfilled prior to the issuance of your license.
What to do if your fingerprint results are delayed?
Checking on Status of Fingerprint Submission. Please allow a minimum of seven days from the date fingerprint impressions were taken before making a status inquiry. If you need to check the status of your fingerprints, below are the steps to follow:
- Applicants should check first with the California Department of Insurance (CDI) at (800) 967-9331 since the Department of Justice (DOJ) sends results directly to the CDI. The DOJ or FBI may need to manually process the fingerprint impressions. This process may delay the reporting of results.
If the CDI does not yet have results, you must visit the DOJ website to verify your status: https://applicantstatus.doj.ca.gov. You will need the following information before placing the online request:
- Your date of birth (i.e. 01/01/1975)
- The 10-digit Automated Transaction Identifier (ATI) number that appears at the bottom of the DOJ form requesting Live Scan fingerprint background checks. The ATI number always appears in the following sequence: 1 Letter; 3 Numbers; 3 Letters and 3 Numbers. This number will allow the DOJ's online verification service to check on the status of your fingerprints.
- When your fingerprint impressions are processed, the DOJ's response will state whether the prints were processed and the date, or whether the prints were rejected and the reason. The level of service is the request for a background check to be completed by both the DOJ and the FBI. However, if the response states that the fingerprint results are still in process, please continue to check back periodically at the DOJ verification page: https://applicantstatus.doj.ca.gov.
- *These forms are in PDF format. To view these forms, your browser must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer. A free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from the Free Document Readers website.
Non-Resident Applicants to File Fingerprint Impressions on Fingerprint Cards
The fingerprints will be submitted to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to ascertain whether or not the non-resident applicant has a criminal record that could prevent the applicant from holding a non-resident insurance producer's license in California. Criminal background checks are an important safeguard to protect the insurance consumers from unscrupulous insurance producers. Fingerprinting is the most effective means to conduct an effective criminal background check.
- Complete part 1 of the Live Scan Request, form LIC 442-39A.
- Complete the standard FBI fingerprint card
The total processing fee for the fingerprint impressions taken by CDI's contracted vendor, Accurate Biometrics, is $59.00. This fee consists of the revised FBI processing fee of $17, DOJ processing fee of $32, and the contracted vendor's rolling fee of $10.00.
Send the Live Scan Request, form LIC 442-39A, the standard FBI fingerprint card, along with a completed credit card form that is attached to the Live Scan Service Request, form 442-39A or a check in the amount of $59.00 made payable to Accurate Biometrics must be mailed directly to:
- Print the standard FBI fingerprint card.
- To obtain a fingerprint card by mail, send an e-mail request to:Producer Licensing Bureau.
- In addition on the fingerprint card, enter the number "A0042" in the space designated for the "ORI" number and in the space designated for the "OCA" you must enter the number "1000.”
*Note: Your application will not be processed until your fingerprint impressions have been received by Accurate Biometrics.